From MW Journal Sentinel:

An 82-year-old woman who was raped by a stranger after she got off a bus last week was forced to wait three hours for a Milwaukee police squad car to respond, records show.

The woman, who has difficulty seeing, finally called the police dispatcher back and asked if she could take a shower.

The victim was told “do not do anything until a squad arrives,” because it could remove key evidence of the rape. Finally, three hours and six minutes after the assault was first reported, a squad car arrived, according to police records obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

A department spokesman acknowledged the delay in response time was “excessive” and said the case is under review.

“The Milwaukee Police Department is reviewing both our dispatch prioritization protocol and the handling of this specific call for service to ensure policy was followed and determine whether policy revision is needed, as the time from the initial call to the police and the dispatch of a squad was excessive,” said Lt. Mark Stanmeyer.

“Three hours and six minutes after the assault was first reported, a squad car arrived”

A spokeswoman for Mayor Tom Barrett issued the following statement: “The response time was excessive and unacceptable. Clearly, a complete review and corrective measures are warranted.”

Stanmeyer noted that in this case, once a squad car was dispatched, it took six minutes to arrive. But that was only after the three-hour delay, records show.

The incident comes a year after Police Chief Edward Flynn vowed to improve scrutiny of response times, following a case in which it took officers 22 minutes to respond to the report of a fatal stabbing of a 60-year-old woman. At the time, police disclosed they were investigating a separate stabbing where response also was delayed.

After those incidents, Flynn issued a directive on response time and wrote that all department members “will be held responsible for their decision making.” Barrett said the chief “will hold individuals accountable and resolve the issue.”

The department has not disclosed whether disciplinary action ever was taken.

Continue Reading